Maleficent Cake Jars | Serves 8
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Purple food colouring
- Electric green food colouring
- 450g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp milk
- 6 eggs
- Black fondant
- 450g powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Purple sprinkles
Helpful TipAll oven use should be done by an adult.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Combine vanilla cake mix, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 3 eggs into a large bowl. Add purple food colouring and stir until combined.
- Combine chocolate cake mix, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 3 eggs into a large bowl.
- Scoop ¼ cup of purple cake batter into a mason jar. Add ¼ cup of chocolate cake batter. Continue to alternate layers of purple and chocolate cake batter until mason jar is half full.
- Fill a baking pan with a thin layer of water. Place cake jar on pan. Bake cake jar at 175°C for 25 to 35 minutes.
- While cake jar is baking, roll fondant into 1” balls, then shape them into horns.
- To prepare the mint icing, combine unsalted butter, powdered sugar, milk and peppermint extract into a bowl. Add electric green food colouring.
Once cake jars have cooled, pipe icing on top of the cake. Add purple sprinkles and place two horns to finish the look.